(YOUR COACH WILL BE THE BEST JUDGE OF YOUR SKILL LEVEL)
- Tumbling is welcome in your dance choreography and will be judged only as it enhances your dance performance. Routines that emphasize tumbling, contortion and acrobatic skills need to be entered in the "Open" or "Acro" Category. Beginning level dancers who are skilled in tumbling are encouraged to enter their routines as beginning level "Acro" where they can demonstrate more advanced acro skills without penalty.
- Please be careful that Choreography, music and costuming are age appropriate. Our competition is designed for family viewing.
- Any routine that the judges feel is NOT entered in the appropriate skill level (Beg, Low Int, High Int, Adv) will be judged and awarded in the appropriate skill level division (not the level originally entered in). The dancer's score will be adjusted to reflect the newly assigned level range for comparable and fair overall competition results.
- Beginning: Introductory level, learning rhythm, coordination, memorization. Beginning dance moves (ie. Single pirouette, forward leaps, Chaines, (Any Routines, solos or groups, with double+ pirouettes/piques, back leaps, back handsprings, aerial tumbling, fouettes or obvious "above beginning level" dance skills will be judged at the Low Intermediate level) Beginning level dancers/teams who are skilled in tumbling are encouraged to enter their routines as beginning level "Acro" or "Open" category where they can demonstrate more advanced acro skills without penalty.
- Low Intermediate: Double/triple pirouettes, side/back leaps, fouettes, back handsprings, aerial tumbling skills. Developing technique & flexibility. Attempting more challenging dance skills.
- High Intermediate: Challenging dance movements/skills executed with good technique & flexibility. Emerging artistic expression
- Advanced: Very challenging dance movements/skills executed with excellent technique, flexibility and proficient artistic expression.
- Age Division Soloists enter as the age they will be on the date of competition. Age categories may be divided or combined as needed.
Jazz - Character - Lyrical - Lyr Contemporary - Modern Contemporary - Ballet - Pointe (no Beg level) - Hip Hop/Street Dance - Ballroom (all styles) - Tap/Clog (Stage Only) - Cheer (stunting provide own mats) - Open (any style or combination of styles) - Acro - Studio Production
Music - Music downloading procedure is available on the new registration profile page.
Props Must be covered with felt, carpet or rubber on any surface that contacts the floor. If the floor is littered during a routine, the dancer must be prepared to clean it up immediately following the routine.
Judging The judging panel will consist of 4 or more qualified, experienced judging authorities. Each number will be evaluated by 3 of the judges for technical ability, choreography, performance delivery, and appearance. Video critiques will be available for you to access on your Gotta Move Dance Comp Genie account. Judge’s decisions are final.
Gem Ranking Scores
Solo, Duo, Trio
- Every contestant receives a "Gotta Move" keepsake trophy with jewel denoting ranking score.
- "1st place" and "Diamond" rank levels are awarded an additional “Gotta Move! King Cap” or Rhinestone Crown. (A 1st place winner is cited only when there are multiple contestants in the division.)
- A specialty trophy is awarded to the high point SDT routine from each skill level and rosette ribbons for 2nd -5th places (Beg, Low Int, High Int, Adv). Minimum of 10 routines in level required.
- A "Judges Choice" plaque is awarded for each venue.
- Additional “Specialty” awards for Technique, Showmanship, Choreography and Costume are also nominated by judges choice.
- Each Studio Team dancer receives a participation award.
- Each qualifying studio receives a large studio trophy with a plaque for displaying the place plates with jewel denoting ranking score. (Studios remitting less than $400 team entry fees will receive a handsome wall-plaque award in lew of the large studio trophy.)
- 1st-5th Overall High Point Awards in each skill level.
- Studio Sweepstakes winner for highest 1st place average (minimum of 10 entries to qualify),
- Best of Show for Highest scoring single team number in each skill level.
- Director "Hall of Fame" directors chair.
- "Judges Choice" plaque for each venue.
- Additional "Specialty" awards for Technique, Showmanship, Choreography and Costume as nominated by judges.
**Note that SDT dancers do not have the option to choose their stage or gym venue. Marley floors are available on stage only at Ogden, Juan Diego and Provo locations.
Cancellations & Refunds
- Solo/Duo/Trio registrations minus $10 per routine. No refunds for "scratched" or "no-show" routines.
- Studio teams: $20 Office handling fee, then 90% refunds with 10% credit to be redeemed when registering for competitions in 2021
- individual team dancer drop-outs can be issued studio credit toward 2021